This recipe is courtesy of Chef Oumou Bah, author of the African Cuisine Made Easy cookbook.
African smoked fish stew is a favorite traditional dish throughout West Africa. It is a great tasting
dish with a very simple cooking process. It is usually served with rice but you can serve it with
anything you want. The stew is usually very spicy but the level of spiciness will depend on your
African Smoked Fish Stew Ingredients:
2 smoked fishes (smoked salmon or cat-fish)
2 fresh tomatoes, mashed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 large onion, sliced
2 gloves garlic, chopped
3 fresh Chilies pepper or to taste
2 chicken of MAGGI cubes
4 small pieces of pumpkin (optional)
3 fresh Chili or to taste
1 big carrot, peeled and sliced
2 potatoes peeled and divide into 2
100ml of Golden Tropics Pure Palm Oil
Salt, to taste
4 cups of water (1 liter)
1. In a big bowl, add the mashed tomato, the tomato paste, the onion, garlic, black pepper and 1
bouillon cube. Then mix well and set aside
2. Wash the smoked fish with hot water and cut into medium size pieces.
3. In a cooking pot, heat the oil on medium on high heat and stir in the smoked fish with add the
tomato mixture. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add all the vegetables, carrot, the potatoes and water. Add the chili peppers and the
remaining bouillon cube.
5. Let simmer for 20 minutes and add the pumpkin in the soup.
Cook for another 10 minutes and salt to your taste.
Serve the stew with rice or Fufu. enjoy!
Read more at: http://www.kadiafricanrecipes.com/smoked-fish-stew.html
Photo courtesy of http://www.africanbites.com